Niels Nielsen, MD Psychiatry


What conditions do you treat?


 I treat most psychiatric conditions. Some require medications, others psychotherapy, others both. Some examples: 

  • Depression
  • Grief and loss
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Anxiety and panic attacks
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorders
  • Trauma / PTSD
  • Personality disorders 
  • Alcohol / substance abuse
  • Relationship problems
  • Life transitions
  • Gender / LGBT-related concerns
  • Aging-related concerns
  • Insomnia
  • Others. Just ask! 

Special clinical interests


  • Psychotherapy
  • General Psychiatry
  • Pharmacogenomics (using your genetic information to guide treatment decisions)
  • Mental health consultation in primary care (Giving a roadmap to you and your primary care doctor to help with your mental health needs) 



I provide treatment in:

  • English
  • Portuguese
  • Spanish



Age Range

  • I see patients 18 years old and above. 

  • Unfortunately, due to Medicare rules, I cannot accept patients with Medicare. 

Specific Medications

  • Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, Valium, etc): I only prescribe these medications if you are in the process of tapering them off, with the goal of completely stopping them. 

  • If you are on an opioid pain killer such as morphine, methadone, suboxone, hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc., I will not prescribe benzodiazepines or sleep medications such as Ambien or Lunesta ("z-drugs"). I will help you find other alternatives. 

  • Stimulant medications to treat narcolepsy and ADHD (Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse, Ritalin, others): only if a diagnosis is confirmed and the medication is appropriate in your individual case. If you are already on these medications, I will not refill them until my assessment is complete. This may require further testing, and more than a single visit for a full evaluation. 

  • Fees charged are for my time and expertise, not to obtain a specific prescription. I believe in partnering with people in their treatment and will do my best to provide with alternatives to these medications, if they are not indicated. 

Services I don't provide

  • Emotional Support Animal Letters


  • Disability Evaluations   

  • Forensic Evaluations   

  • L&I assessments 

  • Assessments for ability to return to work, ability to own a weapon, ability to drive a certain vehicle, etc.

  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation / Electroconvulsive Therapy / Ketamine – I can refer you to outside services.

  • Suboxone Treatment   

  • Couples or Family Therapy   

  • Court-ordered treatment, or treatment under the Washington Involuntary Treatment Act (ITA)